Persisting Navigation in WinRT

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:20 PM

The project you created found to be pretty interesting. And i just become a fan of Obelisk. Except one drawback. How i can persist my navigation cycle after the application termination. Here i can retain my properties after restore but not the page i left. Due to this, your entire effort become obsolete. If you add this method too along with the project it would become a complete suit.

regards,

StezPet. 

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The library was originally for wp7 so this was not an issue, however I'm finishing off a win8 app for the store and about to start another so will put this on my list of stuff to do.

Cheers,

Geoff
Aug 31, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Hi Geoff,

I am also facing the same issuue in my application. Geoff can you provide some idea to handle the situation. I am using mvvmlight for architecting  my application.

regards,

Stepahn.

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2012 at 6:09 AM
Download the source, there's an mvvm light example in there, you need to modify the app.xaml.cs activate and launch methods to await the new tasks (example on obelisk home) I've not updated example for this yet, I got the obelisk lib attached to my own solution.

Like stezpet says there is no page stack persistence yet, I'll look into this, but this shouln't stop you finishing your project. I saw an MS engineer on Thursday and he said it's a nice to have for most apps, mainly important for apps which may have a lot of user input where it would be annoying if you didn't get taken back to the same spot.

Give the samples a try any problems let me know, I'll try and fix the app.xsml.cs later!
Coordinator
Sep 2, 2012 at 3:47 AM
Edited Sep 2, 2012 at 3:47 AM

Right, just added a really simple class to the library to do navigation persistence. Just an extra line needs adding into app.xaml.cs after the root frame is created:

// Register nav
PersistenceManager.Instance.Register("_nav", new NavigationManager(rootFrame));

Done some testing on the samples and my current project and it seems to work nicely.

Download the latest source for a demo.